Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Broiled Striped Bass

Dennis came home from an after-work fishing trip with this bad boy back in December 2008. He cleaned it himself and gave me the meat to do with as I pleased! I decided to cook and eat it (as opposed to what, I don't know). Unfortunately, this was one of those times when I had already eaten right before he brought me/cooked me some food and I ate a few bites and said "I'm full!" If you would like to hear more of those stories, just ask Dennis... I'm sure he's dying to relate them.

So Dennis took care of the hard part and I did the easy part. Cooking fish (certain types of fish, I want to say white fish but I don't know enough about fish to confidently say it) can be really simple, quick, and easy to clean up. When I was in college my dad told me how to cook fish and it's so easy I still remember it. Here's what you need.

Ingredients
Olive oil, salt, & pepper (all amounts to taste)
Lemon wedge, if preferred

Yep! That's it. Oh and fish.

This can get a little messy so I like to use aluminum foil to keep it all contained. Make a little tray out of foil and put it on a cookie sheet. I use a cookie sheet with sides just in case the oil gets out. Lay the fish down in the foil tray and drizzle the oil over it, then salt & pepper it. Flip it over and repeat. Then turn the broiler on and put the cookie sheet on the top tray closest to the broiler. Leave it in for about 7 minutes, then take it out and flip the fish again. Wait another 7 minutes then check on it. At this point, the fish should be "flaky," meaning that if you jab it with a fork, the pieces flake off easily.

If you like tartar sauce or anything like that with your fish, you can try it out, but I just add more salt & pepper if needed. I usually pair fish with steamed broccoli & squirt the lemon wedge over both. Fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment