Friday, March 25, 2011

Grilled Portobello Sandwich

Aight. This one is a little tricky. I have made it twice so far, and of course no pictures - but I do have one portobello mushroom left so maybe I will remember to take pictures on the 3rd try. *Update - I finally took pictures on the 4th mushroom. Go me!* This tastes awesome and it is really filling. It is a great dinner idea for someone who is trying to go temporarily vegetarian (me). Dennis even ate one. Amazing.

Ingredients
1 red bell pepper
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup olive oil
2 portobello mushroom caps, cleaned
2 slices onion
2 Kaiser rolls, split
4 tsp mayonnaise
1 tsp roasted garlic
2 ounces mozzarella, thinly sliced
2 slices tomato

First step - roast the red pepper. Put it on the grill and turn it until the whole thing is blackened. Should be around 15 minutes.

While your red pepper is roasting, mix the olive oil with the salt & pepper. Brush the mixture on top of the mushroom and then on the underside, including the...gills. *shudder* Man those creep me out.

 Gills are less freaky when you have a super helper dog in the kitchen.

The first time we made these sandwiches, we used the grill but it was kind of difficult and annoying, so the 2nd time I used the broiler. I put the portobello and onion on my pizza stone in the oven and put the broiler on low and let them sit for a few minutes. I flipped the portobello, left the onion alone, and let them sit for another few minutes on low. Then I flipped the mushroom again and placed a piece of mozzarella cheese on top, then put the broiler on HIGH. YEAAA!!

Onion and mushroom chillin on the pizza stone.

Ok so at this point, your mushroom and onions should be doing well. Also at this point, your red pepper should be blackened. Put it in a bowl and cover it with a lid, then leave it be for a few minutes. Now go put your kaiser rolls (open-faced) in the oven under the broiler so they can get nice and toasty. One more thing - real quick like, go mix up that mayo and garlic to make a sort of, what do you call it... oh right, garlic mayonnaise.

 My garlic mayo. Mmm.

Do you see how tough it is to juggle all of these ingredients!? Yikes. Check on the roll and the mozzarella. Don't let the roll get burnt, but wait until the mozzarella is melty or else it will be cold and taste weird. Once you have found that happy medium, take everything out. Spread the garlic mayo on the roll, then pile the rest of your ingredients on. Don't forget the tomato! Nomnomnom.


Here is the original link from Allrecipes.com.

Leftover tip: I roasted a whole red pepper and put the leftovers in the fridge, so the 2nd time I made this sandwich I tossed the red pepper on the pizza stone at the same time as the mushroom and onion to heat it up. Works like a charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment